Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

Frank wrote in news:imta3q$2ji$1@dont-
email.me:

On 3/29/2011 12:01 PM, bob wrote:
Years ago I bought a bottle of sulfuric acid from a hardware store with
the intend to open a clogged pipe. I ended up opening the clog with
another method. The bottle sits unused.

Many toilet bowl cleaners use hydrochloric acid as a main ingredient,
since sulfuric acid is similar stuff, can I use it as a toilet bowl
cleaner?

I don't see any problem in using it but you have to take more caution
with sulfuric acid than hydrochloric acid as I find it more corrosive to
clothing than hydrochloric because it will not evaporate and stay on the
clothing.

I don't think they sell the concentrations of sulfuric acid that will
react violently with water but this is a caution and acid should always
be poured into water and not vice versa. It is always a good idea to
have on eye protection when working with corrosives.

Additionally the sulfate salts, e.g. ferric sulfate, are not as soluble
as the chlorides and sulfuric acid may not be as efficient as
hydrochloric in removing stains.

the acid will ETCH the porcelain surface and make it harder to clean.

acid is what's used for bathtub refinishing,to etach the porcelain surface
for better adhesion of the epoxy finish.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik