Posted to alt.home.repair
GeorgeD[_2_] GeorgeD[_2_] is offline

Default Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

On 3/29/2011 12:01 PM, bob wrote:
Years ago I bought a bottle of sulfuric acid from a hardware store with
the intend to open a clogged pipe. I ended up opening the clog with
another method. The bottle sits unused.

Many toilet bowl cleaners use hydrochloric acid as a main ingredient,
since sulfuric acid is similar stuff, can I use it as a toilet bowl
cleaner?

Some toilet bowl cleaners are (were) sodium bisulfate (Vanish for
example). Sodium bisulfate is a powder which when mixed with water
forms sulfuric acid.

I wouldn't mix methods. I think sulfuric acid and chlorine products can
result in poisonous gas.