Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Repair or replace

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:27:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm not sure how old it is, but over ten years. Until this year's heavy
snow, it has actually held up well against the plow debris. Maybe it
just got brittle over time, but it was cracked at the bottom and I had
one hell of a time breaking the rest of it off. The design is a steel
rod pounded into the dirt, no digging, no cement to mix.

The previous owners of our place mounted the box on a spring-loaded arm -
it's been clipped by passing plows a few times and so far hasn't broken.
I'm surprised there isn't a commercial kit to do that - seems to work
well, and I see many destroyed boxes up here in the winter.

The one feature of this mailbox we really like is the telltale flag.
When the MM opens the door, it pops up a yellow flag on the side and it
is visible from the house so you know if the mail came.

That's a nice feature. Shame it can't tell between good mail and junk ;-)

cheers

Jules