Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Wind output reaches new low..

On Mar 29, 7:16 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Matty F wrote:

Here in NZ wind can be a good idea. We have vast hydroelectric power
capability, with not enough rainfall to keep them running all the
time.

Then you need some atomics :-)

No, we have coal burning power stations, and enough coal for at least
600 years. They can be used when the water in the hydro dams is low.
Also we have huge tide power potential. Iassume that hydro power is
still needed at change of tide.

Also, we should give newer technology a chance to catch up. Wnd and
solar power are getting more efficient, and will become cheaper with
economies of scale.

Wind is near he theoretical max actually, and solar is not far off.

New technology solar panels are getting cheaper all the time.

Wind generators can be supplied and installed quickly and generating
power, while your large nuclear and other generators take years to
build, with no income until they are finished years later.

Don't you do forward planning down there?

The important point I am making is that a great deal of money has to
be borrowed to build nuclear and other large generators. Interest has
to be paid for maybe 10 years or more during construction, while there
is no income at all during that time.
Contrast that with small generators that come virtually of fthe shelf,
are made on an efficient production line, and can be installed in
months and generate income immediately.

Still the New Zealand govt is well known to be weird..over green issues

Yes unfortunately the major parties, National Labour and Greens, are
obsessed with trying to reduce CO2 when as we now know man-made global
warming is the greatest scientific fraud of the last century.