Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default putting tile in the bathroom, part II

"dadiOH" wrote in message
bob wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:08:46 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Mar 28, 10:56 am, bob wrote:
carpet installers are here and ripping up old stuff. flooring is
particle board thick enough to be very rigid

can i put durorock membrane on this for tile?

http://www.durocktilemembrane.com/pr...embrane-9.aspx

Particle board in a wet environment like a bathroom is far from
ideal. Rip it out and ask a pro what would be better. Or band-aid it
like you suggested and live with the inevitable do-over.
Given your situation I would simply Durock over plywood on the joists
and not worry about it for years. That and a Schlutter membrane
should be very long lasting for tile work in a bath.

right now there's tile in the bathroom...ugly stuff which is why i
want to get rid of it. but it looks like the floor's stable enough for
tile. want to make sure it stays that way!

Stable doesn't count. Expanding to 2x or more its thickness when it gets
wet does.

When I worked construction a long, long time ago the old pros called it
"chip board" but it sounded more like "**** board." I know it's used in
bathrooms and other "it's going to get wet sooner or later" places and
*should* present no problems with a waterproof membrane . . . Still, I
would pull it if you are in there anyway. There's nothing cheaper than chip
board because almost everything else is better. (-: I can't count all the
places where I've seen sagged chip board.

--
Bobby G.