Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wind output reaches new low..

Matty F wrote:
On Mar 29, 1:39 am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Mar 28, 10:41 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Tim W wrote:
German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.
I bet you will find that they produced no significant carbon reduction
in so doing.
But carbon reduction is not important, so why should anyone try to
reduce it (which they will not succeed in doing even if they try).

In which case, why do we bother with wind at all?

Only if wind is economic, which it is on some occasions. e.g. we used
a wind generator rather than pay for 10km of powerline to the main
grid.

Oh fair enough.

If a wind mill and batteries is actually cheaper.

Here in NZ wind can be a good idea. We have vast hydroelectric power
capability, with not enough rainfall to keep them running all the
time.

Then you need some atomics :-)

The power from wind generators means the power from hydro generators
can be reduced quickly, saving the water in the large dams.
Not an option in the UK I agree, but wind power can be economic in
some places so let's not rubbish it completely.

IF you have massive but not quite enough hydro ALREADY, yes, you can eke
that out through the dry spells.

..
Also, we should give newer technology a chance to catch up. Wnd and
solar power are getting more efficient, and will become cheaper with
economies of scale.

Wind is near he theoretical max actually, and solar is not far off.

Maybe if you build even bigger ones..you might get 3W/sq meter in a
windy place.

Wind generators can be supplied and installed quickly and generating
power, while your large nuclear and other generators take years to
build, with no income until they are finished years later.

Don't you do forward planning down there?

Then there are transmission losses. The power from wind generators can
be used locally, while everybody wants nuclear power stations and coal
burning stations to be as far away as possible, hence high power
transmission losses and expensive lines.

You can build a nuke right next door to me frankly.
But you wont be so keen once you have wind farm next to you, I am sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-sRf...layer_embedded

Still the New Zealand govt is well known to be weird..over green issues