Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Braun 4737 shaver.

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The odd thing is, while the motor runs OK with NiMh cells,
it [sic] cuts out if the charger is plugged in -- that doesn't
happen with NiMh cells fitted.

I'm a bit confused as to what the /exact/ problem is. Could you
clarify? What exactly is "it" that cuts out? The charging? The motor?

The motor cuts out.

Thanks.

That's got me scratching my head. Why should the battery type have any
effect whatsoever on whether the charger powers the motor?

Does the motor run when no battery is installed?

Maybe someone else could try that experiment in case the improper load makes
the charging circuit go phut.

Having found a selection of AA NiCds in the bits box I charged them all and
staged "battery races" - that is put 2 cells in the shaver at a time until
the low voltage shutdown trips, each time eliminating the cell that gave up
and putting the winner back in the charger ready for the semi-finals.

The final 2 cells give a reasonable running time but it seems a bit
sluggish.

So I tried running down a pair of NiMh cells and recharging them - so far so
good.

It turns out that plugging in the charger only makes the motor cut out when
the batteries are fully charged - which actually isn't a problem.