Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE is offline

Default Viewsonic G810 with weird horizontal problem

Hi:

I have a Viewsonic G810 CRT monitor on the bench with a weird horizontal
problem.
I'll start at the beginning.
The picture started to wiggle horizontally. Sparks could be heard close
to the HV section. Eventually there was a bright vertical line then the
screen went dark.

Cause: A 4-pin connector was completely fried. It connects two blue and two
grey wires, which are slung in an 8 around the neck of the CRT and the
yoke.
Also the horizontal transistor 2SC5411 was fried.

The flyback, which was the first suspect, is OK however.

Now to the weird problem:

When switched on, the picture shows briefly on the screen. It is a bit
murky.
It also is masked on the left from top to bottom by a curved black zone
about an inch from the edge.
On the right it is masked with a curved black zone, but this one is
running from the right screen edge into the middle like a tsunami wave
covering real estate. Then something switches off the cathode ray. HV is
still present.
Switching the monitor off and on repeats the phenomenon.

Disconnecting the connector with the blue and grey wires reduces the
picture to a bright vertical line.

Mind: the picture is not squeezed in the horizontal direction - geometry
is OK but the dark zones mask the picture.

I never before saw thelike and have no idea what may be wrong.
I thought I connected back everything correctly but I may be wrong.
Is somebody out there with a hint for me - short of trashing the old
monitor and to get myself a new LCD one.

Kind regards
Eike Lantzsch