Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Repair or replace

On Mar 28, 6:59*am, bob wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:53:38 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

wrote:
Repair or replace. That question often comes up here. *I had two examples in
the past week.

was thinking about getting a new head for my electric razor. new head
is $28. new razor is $32

I service roll laminators for a living around pittsburgh. They put
plastic on paper think menus.

I try to buy junk GBC ultimate 65 laminators to use for parts.
The machines retail street price is 1500 bucks

Rollers at 500 bucks each, for 4 and other parts like main board make
repairing them expensive. GBCs profit center must be parts a 6 bucks
circuit breaker from digi key is sold by GBC for about 30 bucks.

Of course their labor rate just went up again to $250 to $300 bucks
for the first hour

Some companies dont want people to fix stuff there must be tremendous
big bucks in importing china and korean made products