Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Japan Nuclear Problem

On 28/03/2011 10:36, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Bolted" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 4:13 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Given how well the structure withstood an earthquake 10 times as
powerful as any expected, I would say they did.

The design parameter (as I understand it) relates to an earthquake
pretty much right under/next to the plant. This was a 9 at its
epicentre 150km away and 25km down, not at Fukashima itself.

I've not seen anything authoritative on what it was equivalent to, but
have seen several people saying in seismologist-a-like language that a
plant designed to withstand a 7.9 should easily have survived this.

But it was the tsunami that did it anyway.

Which are common in those parts.

But not at 14m high at that point of the coast.

Colin Bignell