Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Re-partitioning HDD - where'd all my gigabytes go?!

In article , Mike Tomlinson
scribeth thus
In article , Lobster davidlobster
writes

do people actually reckon it's worthwhile installing the
OS on a separate partition as I did last time (I'd make it 30 Gb, rather
than 20 Gb this time!) or is it a waste of time and effort?

I think it's worth doing. It means that if things go mammaries
uppermost you can blow Windoze away and reinstall without affecting your
data on another drive/partition. Of course, anything stored on the OS
partition that you would want to keep can be copied to the other first.

I installed an SSD for my OS drive and a spinning disk for data.
Windows and apps load in the blink of an eye (slight exaggeration -
booting from cold went from ~40s on disk to ~10s on SSD)

Are these more reliable now or was it a problem with the number of read
write cycles they had a problem with?..
--
Tony Sayer