Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Low cost home security monitoring?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:37:03 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Didn't mean to set you off, there. I was mainly commenting based on
newspaper articles I have read in several different cities about how
local PDs found home alarms to be an expensive PITA. More than one of
the articles stated that if the alarm company DIDN'T talk to a human (or
get a duress alarm from a portable sender), PD would NOT do an emergency
response. Rate of false alarms was just way too high.

I've never had monitoring (but maybe soon, since my friend gave me my
new panel after lightning probably ruined the old one)

So the police never got called and afaiknew, I'd never had a false
alarm. Until finally someone said sometimes the alarm went off (until
the timer stopped it)

I figured out to talk to the mailman, who said when I got a certified
letter and he rang the doorbell, it would go off. I used a resistor
box to find the lowest value resistor that would but the volume of the
bell below that level.

This didn't happen at first because i didnt' have glass/wood breakage
detectors, and it still didn't happen for years after that until I got
a doorbell for the basement. Then I had to change doorbell
transformers to a bigger one, and that made the ground floor bell
louder.

I don't realy need this much security, but I like gadgets.