Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default CRT vertical deflection -- bad solder joints?

tm wrote:

"Sean Hamilton" wrote in message
Hello,

Is it likely that bad solder joints would cause vertical foldover in a
mid-90s CRT television? I have a Hitachi TV which had vertical
foldover for a few months, which went away after it warmed up. Then
one day, no vertical deflection at all. I pulled the board out and a
lot of the solder work is terrible. However, the problem seems more
like a bad capacitor -- but they all seem fine, at least with visual
inspection. So I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance,

Look for a non-polar capacitor in the vertical deflection area somewhere
around 10 uF. Try replacing it.

tm

Yup, my first suspect too. This cap is normally found attached to the
vertical deflection transistor electrically closest to B+. They are not
always non-polarized. On our Sanyo video game monitors they were regular
10ufd/250V. Find one that has a good ripple current rating if you want
the replacement to last...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com