Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Repair or replace

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:27:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

The one feature of this mailbox we really like is the telltale flag. When
the MM

Are you talkin' about me? Are YOU talkin' about me?

opens the door, it pops up a yellow flag on the side and it is
visible from the house so you know if the mail came. We get mail late
(sometimes around 5 PM) so it has save many a false trip to retrieve it.
Not a big thing, but on a very cold or rainy day, we appreciate it.

Absolutely. It was more than 100 feet from our door to the mailbox,
sometimes in the snow or rain or cold.

One of
those things, once you've had one you wonder why every mailbox does not have
one. Even all the Rubbermaid don't.

I don't know why these aren't more popular either. My mother bought
one, that screwed on to our metal mailbox, in 1958! You'd think
everyone would have one by now. But in 7 years in the suburbs then, I
only saw 4 or 5 others, and here it is 50 years later and still they
are so uncommon.

Hers had a weight on one end, with a thin metal piece that got clipped
between the mailbox door and the side, and a yellow metal flag on the
other end. I saw one or two with a parallelogram shaped set of metal
parts that caused the flag to go up.

But those are long gone afaict. They do, however, sell electronic
transmitters that are supposed to know when you get mail and beep in
your house. Far less reliable, needs batteries, what a project, when
the yellow flag is 100% reliable and should last for 50 years.