Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Repair or replace

On 3/27/2011 12:13 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Ed wrote in message
Repair or replace. That question often comes up here. I had two examples
in the past week.

I have a Rubbermaid mailbox and post that wad damaged in the snowstorms.
Replacement post, delivered $54
New mailbox and post $52

The light under the kitchen cabinet burned out. It is a fluorescent
fixture that takes an F15 bulb
Replacement bulb $6.88
New fixture including bulb $6.96
The fixture is "assembled in USA" too.

Makes one wonder how they do the pricing of this stuff.

I bought four four foot fluorescent fixtures, and a dozen bulbs, and with
the power company rebate, the cost was zero. I'm like you, how do they
figure this stuff.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

It's called the Gillette business model. Give away the device, and you
have them by the short and curlies forever on the consumables. Inkjet
printers are famous for that. In the case of the shop lights, the power
company rebate is because of reduced demand (in theory), but because
THEY get a tax credit for promoting 'efficient' lights.

--
aem sends...