Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tinkerer Tinkerer is offline

Default Re-partitioning HDD - where'd all my gigabytes go?!

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:13:45 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/03/2011 10:20, Lobster wrote:

How can I check what's going on?

Make yourself a slipstreamed[1] SP3 disk to do the install from.

You will need the network managers version of the SP3 path (i.e. the
full thing in one exe rather than the installer than downloads the bits
needed as it runs), a win2k/xp boot sector, and some CD writing software
(and obviously a working PC to run it on!)

There is a how to he

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/sli...e-pack-3.shtml

or a more picturesque one he

http://www.technipages.com/slipstrea...ws-xp3-cd.html

[1] MS Jargon for patching an install image with a service pack so that
it automatically installs the SP version rather than the original

My XP Pro is slipstreamed, using nLite, with SP3 and I seem to have got it
to the point where it doesn't need a key any more. nLite has, IIRC (it was
couple of yeras ago) a step where the key can be entered, so that might be
the reason. Also got rid of WMP and OE during the process.

Also used nLite to do the same but got rid of IE; it's installed on a
computer but I need the tuit to see what doesn't work when IE is taken
out.

Mine is also streamlined with nLite but I would avoid including IE in the
slipstreaming, it caused problems and had to be physically removed and
installed from a new download. Investigating on the net indicated that it
is a common problem with IE and slipstreamed discs.
--
Tinkerer