Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tinkerer Tinkerer is offline

Default Re-partitioning HDD - where'd all my gigabytes go?!

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

Before I go on to sort this out (will have a look at John's
slipstreaming!) - do people actually reckon it's worthwhile installing
the OS on a separate partition as I did last time (I'd make it 30 Gb,
rather than 20 Gb this time!) or is it a waste of time and effort?

Yes, and while you're at it, arrange for your Documents folder to be on
the data drive, not where XP puts it by default, which is in a
sub-sub-sub-folder of your Windows directory. I'd also make the C: drive
about 40Gig on a 250Ggig drive, to leave room for all the cr@p and a
decent size swap file. Then again, I've got a couple of programs that have
gigabytes of data files they need to have in their home directory.

"My Documents" is off the root of D: on this machine, and when I have to
re-install Windows, all my data is sitting there untouched.

And, if you use an email client rather than web mail, arrange for the mail
files (inbox etc.) to be stored in a folder within My Documents. Otherwise
they get squirrelled away in all sorts of odd places, usually buried
somewhere on C: drive. You can usually relocate them from within the email
client - Outlook Express for example you can change via
Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store Folder. makes for easier backing up as
well.
--
Tinkerer