Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Repair or replace

mm wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:53:38 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Repair or replace. That question often comes up here. I had two examples in
the past week.

I have a Rubbermaid mailbox and post that wad damaged in the snowstorms.
Replacement post, delivered $54
New mailbox and post $52

I've always had doubts about Rubbermain mailboxes.

For one thing, doesn't the mail get wet when you do the dishes?

In your case, if it's rubber, why didn't the post bend and bounce back
when the snow sat on it or the car hit it?

[I caught the humor-- just had to say. . . .] Last summer I just
happened to look out as a truck hit my Rubbermaid mailbox and sent it
50 feet up the road. Mine is on a 4x4 post mounted on a round post
so it can swing when the plow hits it.

The post was fine. The little lever that tells me when the mailman
has opened the box was missing. But otherwise, the mailbox was fine.
It was just 'unsnapped' from the mount. Snapped it back in-- and saw
the little lever thing in the grass, which also snapped back into
place.

By the time I got around to putting it back together, my wife was
already out buying a new box-- so now I've got a spare in the garage
for when a tank runs over the one that is out there now.

They are sturdy little buggers.

Jim