Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Prepping a painted floor for fresh paint

On Mar 26, 9:00*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
Down in this basement I can see 2 layers of gray floor paint were it's
peeled or scraped off the concrete floor over many years. *Just a couple
weeks ago the whole place flooded and was underwater for a couple days.
* Would the water absorbed into the concrete have done any damage to how
well the bottom coat sticks to the concrete? *I'm guessing if it was
done right the first time it should be ok?

Now if we want to repaint the floor again, what kind of prep work should
be done? *I know any loose or peeling paint should be removed, but how
do people do this on a large scale. *Is there any kind of equipment to
rent? *I thought of a sander for wood floors but imagine it would get
clogged up with paint fast?

The bottom line is we want to paint it and do as good a job as we can.
Possibly garage floor 2 part epoxy paint... if that can go over the old
paint, I haven't checked the labels yet.

Idea's?

Sure moisture can be in the concrete, it has to dry and can ruin whats
there over the next months if its wet. Get a cheap moisture meter, it
will have 2 pin probes that go through the paint, you need under 15%
moisture to paint, the edges might be the worst part. It will take
months to dry if its wet. Rent from any place like HD a floor buffer,
depending on the pad used floor buffers can just clean, or with
agressive pads remove finishes. A red pad should work to de gloss the
paint. If its worn now and not glossy just clean it but a floor buffer
will guarantee good adhesion. That sandblasting idea someone posted,
that is the worst idea ive ever heard for many reasons, no pro would
ever recommend it. Use a quality floor paint from a paint store,
Sherwin Williams has many products for floors and their employees are
pros that will direct you on the whole job, Any Paint store is better
than a box store.