Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Sold on Zinsser BIN !!!!!

On Mar 25, 9:08*am, "Baron" wrote:
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:39:37 -0400, Baron wrote:

*Shellac is an evaporative finish. *That means once the solvent
evaporates, the resulting film will not get any harder. *It typically
takes two hours to be sure that all the alcohol has evaporated from BIN.
That's the beauty of using it. *A topcoat can be applied about two hours
after the BIN goes on. *I would like to know who told you that shellac
keeps getting harder forever.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FSOriginal9.html

and skip down to "The Final Touch" heading.

Unfortunately, Russ died a few months ago. *I was surprised to see his
site still up. *He was a great woodturner (look at Gallery 1 and gallery
2 on the site)and a great teacher. *He will be missed. *I've never found
anything he said to be untrue.

* * The fellow is not applying just shellac or pigmented shallac as in the
case of BIN. *He is french polishing using a mixture of a drying oil
(linseed) and a non-drying oil (mineral oil). *While the mineral oil can be
"spirited off" at the end, the linseed oil is not and continues to cure and
makes for a soft film until completely cured. *Linseed oil, "boiled" or not,
takes quite some time to fully cure.
* * Interesting site, though.

Good Luck- Hide quoted text -

A final polish with swirl remover a week after letting the
shellac cure saves you the spiriting off step and won't
burn through due to momentarily not paying attention.