Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT Are taxes killing us financially?

wrote in message
On Mar 26, 3:17 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

But that's just the first contract, and not even all of those. The
follow-ups typically are no-bid, or "not full and open," as the Pentagon
puts is, with no competition. And that's where, along with original
no-bids,
Lockheed Martin makes something like 74% of its defense-related revenue --
which is, in total, and curiously, is 74% of their total revenue.

--
Ed Huntress

So when your Ford needs a major assembly, you are going to see if you
can buy that part from GM? Of course the follow ups are not bought
from someone that does not have the tooling to build the parts.

Now you're justifying no-bid again. I'm not arguing with you about whether
it's justified. My point is that it's a FACT, and that the fact leads
directly to another fact, which is that Lockheed Martin doesn't care what it
pays in taxes, because most of their defense work -- in fact, most of ALL of
their work -- is done on no-bid contracts.

But
maintenance costs are taken into consideration when the original
contract is let. The military know what the costs are for making
parts. They can and do evaluate the costs for follow up purchases.

Dan

Dan, the original contract for the C-130 was granted in 1951. Most of the
money made on the C-130 has nothing to do with the original contract, and
couldn't have been anticipated.

--
Ed Huntress