Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Noisy Ceiling Cord Pull Switches

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:44:33 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 01:18:32 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"John" wrote in message
I have given up trying to find a quiet one - but I am curious as to
why wall switches can have a gentle slow make/break action - but
ceiling ones seem to have a fast snap action.
If anyone knows of a quiet one then let me know - but I think I can
swop one from my loft light which is old and quiet with the noisy new
one in my bathroom.

I've just recently fitted a replacement in my bathroom, and it came from
Wickes. By no means 'silent', but quite a 'soft' click compared to the
one
that came out, which was a really loud 'crack' with an underlying
'twang',
certainly loud enough to wake the household in the middle of the night.

Arfa

Is it 2-way? I've a loud one that operates the light near the bed. It
doesn't bother me of course, as I tend to be awake when operating it, but
it's very near the party wall so I'm reluctant to use it at night!
--
Peter.

Indeed it was, because I remember thinking (as you do!), "I wonder if there
is any preference between using the 'one way' and the 'two way' terminal in
a one way installation"? Obviously, there's no electrical difference, and in
the case of a pull-pull switch, no physical issue of getting it the right
way up, either. I guess it's just one of those little mysteries of life ...
:-)

But yes. Wickes. 2 way. Quieter than 'normal', but by no means silent.

Arfa

Thanks Arfa. I'll be Aldi-way tomorrow so Wickes isn't far from there.

I can't see any good reason for making 1-way switches: for a single plate
there is about 20p difference.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away