Mark Jerde

Default Thoughts On Why We Are Getting Our Ass Kicked

tmbg wrote:
All too true... I'm a mid-career software engineer that's been out of
work now for two years due to nearly all technical work headed
overseas to India, Czechoslovakia, etc. How can I compete with a
nation full of billions of people who got a PhD in computer science
for free and who's willing to work for $1USD/hour?

I got a B.S. in Computer Science in 1982 and have been expecting this for
years. Why? Writing software didn't used to be much different from the way
they built medival cathedrals -- lots of folks using hand tools to do jobs
that could be easily automated.

BTW, I lost my computering job as part of the .com crash and have yet to
earn more than about 40% of what I made before the crash. I feel your pain
as I feel my pain.

There used to be lots of farming jobs for people to drive teams of horses.
Tractors made those go away. Computer programming reached the same kind of
"lack of need for manual labor."

Adapt or die. Currently, I'm closer to dying... g

-- Mark