Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ronald Raygun Ronald Raygun is offline

Default WIRING: Is this inherently correct?

ARWadsworth wrote:

Ronald Raygun wrote:
Well I used 2g 2way light switch.

Is there a prize?

There is no prize other than your own satisfaction, but if there were
a prize, you would be disqualified on grounds of being too expert. I
was interested in whether harry could do it. :-)

Presuming that the "g" in your "2g 2way" stands for "gang", i.e. that
the switch has two poles, each of which can be switched 2 ways, in
what is commonly referred to as a DPDT switch, then yes, that's the
answer to Q1. Indeed I have already given wiring solution for that
one.

A 2g 2way switch is two seperate SPDT switches with SPDT defined here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

But Q2 explicitly specifies that you must use two switches, one to
operate each lamp.

I did a 2g means two switches on the same faceplate:-)

I know what SPDT etc means, it's the "2g" part that was unfamiliar. It's
also misleading if you use a term containing the word "switch" in the
singular to denote what is in fact two independent switches. That's what
led me to the wrong conclusion above about what you meant.

Turning both switches on simultaneously is an operator error
condition, since you can't turn both lamps on together. What gets
connected to X and Y in those circumstances may be undefined if you
wish, but preferably it should be that X and Y are both disconnected
from the battery, same as when both switches are off.

Ah, now you adding bits to make it harder.

I didn't mean to make it harder.

My setup does not disconnect the lights from the battery.

That's fair enough, I only said "preferably". That X and Y are at the
same potential is good enough.