Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Re-partitioning HDD - where'd all my gigabytes go?!

On Mar 26, 10:20*am, "Lobster" wrote:
My (very) old Dell (Windows XP Home) has been getting progressively more
slow and unwieldy, and I decided to try and wring a bit more life out of it
by reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows - haven't done it
for at least 3 years and it normally helps a lot.

[...]

I stuck in my Windows set up disk, deleted the existing partitions, and
formatted it (NTFCS). However, I was left with only 135 Gb (=127 Gb
formatted). ??? What's going on?

Hi David,

Have you upgraded the new (re)install to at least Service Pack 1? I
seem to recall the original XP release did not support 48bit logical
block addressing hence could not address partition sizes above 137GB.

Once you upgrade you can then resize the partition with something
Easus Partition Manager (http://www.partition-tool.com/)

Mathew