Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Coffee Machine Repair (help req'd)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:42:24 +0000, Neid Koffe wrote:

Got given this coffee machine.
Aroma Coffee™ 12 Digital (PC4700)

Fault:

When powering it on (digital panel) it turns straight off and the
element never gets to heats up.

This digital panel I assume control the usage etc. But also controls
the On/Off. The buttons themselves seem functional. I can hear a relay
trip once when it turns it self off again.

I've pulled to bits to check for obvious problems. I'm thinking I'm
looking at a round Thermistor (see below links) that attaches directly
to the element and it appears wired to the mains voltage (230-240v here)
on the power/relay board on the right side of the photo.

Would it be safe to assume this is a good chance of being the problem?
I'm going to resolder that large resistor on the board in case its dried
just in case.

The digital board I'll leave unless you think something warrants
investigating. But its pretty much an IC and a LCD panel. The clock on
it works find untill you press the on button and it drops power
completely.

If it is the Thermistor how can I test it with a meter? I know enough to
avoid a shock but not sure would it be open or closed or what. Need
some help here.

Your ideas are welcome on this (cant wait to try the coffee).

Thermistor attached to heating pad responsible 99% of the time from my
experience in repairing my Cuisinart Grind -N-Brew not once but twice in
4 years..

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse