Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D D is offline

Default Followup on PC built outside the case

On 3/24/2011 8:36 PM, wrote:

And I take different approach. AMD Phenom II processors on Gigabyte
780 series boards. According to the benchmarks, the AMD gets 70-90% of
the performance of the Intels and usually comes in at about 1/4 the
price. The 3 of them together ran about $1400 total, each with 4 gigs,
at least 2TB worth of drives (1.5T + 500G) and an HDTV tuner each.
Next machine will likely be another Gigabyte board, probably an 880
series, certainly with integrated graphics and another AMD. If I get
burned by the Gigabyte boards I'll look at Asus and Tyan but won't use
any more ECS, Biostar or MSI boards. So far I have 5 Gigabyte machines
and another at work and no problems with any of them.

For those who are leery of AMD, the Harris servers used at at least 2
of the major TV networks (CBS and Fox) deliver all your TV with AMD
processors.

Your approach makes a lot of sense. I had an AMD Athlon awhile back,
the last pre-build PC I've bought (Gateway. They still in business?
;-), it was fine, once I got rid of that abysmal Win ME & replaced it
with Win 2K.

The temps in BIOS are normal, CPU is about 39C. Also checked all the PSU
voltage with a multimeter, both with the PSU connected & not, and they
are fine. Most interestingly, the PC SEEMS to run fine in safe mode
w/networking. Wouldn't this suggest the hardware is fine?

I am going to burn a Memtest boot CD & give that a try.