Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Followup on PC built outside the case

D Inscribed thus:

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have a utility called Speccy
that monitors temps, yesterday the CPU was showing 39C (104F), which I
believe is low. Speccy also shows voltages, on that issue, which ones
should I be looking at, and what should the be? I also run it on my
current core 2 Conroe, it shows the following for this setup:

Does the BIOS have any voltage and temperature display. It would be
worth comparing them.

CPU core - 1.168
Memory controller - 1.840
+3.3V - 3.328
+5V - 4.992
+12 - 10.371
VIN5 - 1.616
VIN6 - 1.488

Which of these would be most critical to the freeze situation? This
is a different PC/PSU, and this setup has run fine for 5 years. Not
sure why the 12V reading is ~1.6 volts low. I was just directly
measuring some voltages on various cables on that PSU while the PC
ran, the 12V ones were measuring 12.12V. Any thoughts appreciated.

I assume that the directly measured voltage was with a multimeter !
12.12v is fine. Interesting to find out why Speccy reads it low...
Or is this two different PSU ?

I hope it's not the Win 7, but I have loaded XP on an available drive
& will see how the PC runs that.

Thanks all again for the terrific input!

Dan

--
Best Regards:
Baron.