Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Followup on PC built outside the case

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:25:29 -0700, D wrote:

On 3/24/2011 11:06 AM, Don Nichols wrote:
I've seen temperature mentioned several times in this thread, and that
would be my first guess. You might try aiming a desk fan directly at
the motherboard/cpu prior to powering up and see if the forced air
makes any difference. Easy to try, and would probably eliminate
overheating as the problem if it doesn't make any difference.
wrote in message

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have a utility called Speccy that
monitors temps, yesterday the CPU was showing 39C (104F), which I
believe is low. Speccy also shows voltages, on that issue, which ones
should I be looking at, and what should the be? I also run it on my
current core 2 Conroe, it shows the following for this setup:

CPU core - 1.168
Memory controller - 1.840
+3.3V - 3.328
+5V - 4.992
+12 - 10.371
VIN5 - 1.616
VIN6 - 1.488

Which of these would be most critical to the freeze situation? This is
a different PC/PSU, and this setup has run fine for 5 years. Not sure
why the 12V reading is ~1.6 volts low. I was just directly measuring
some voltages on various cables on that PSU while the PC ran, the 12V
ones were measuring 12.12V. Any thoughts appreciated.

I hope it's not the Win 7, but I have loaded XP on an available drive &
will see how the PC runs that.

Thanks all again for the terrific input!

Dan

Don't know if the mobo has a PATA controller but try installing
7 on a PATA drive.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse