Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com is offline

Default HDTV has no sound

Decades ago, I had two stereo receivers/amps that my EE uncle tried to fix by
tapping every capacitor until he gave up. I also had a sim problem once with
a computer that went blank in RS232 tty output but I fixed it only when the
manufacturer told me exactly which capacitor to replace (in a twist, the only
way I could actually get a single such capacitor was to request an
"engineering sample"). I am a Ch E with two mandatory semesters of EE and two
introverted EE uncles who never really explained what they were doing while I
was growing up. So I probably know more than I have confidence in. I am
looking at this $80 TV that has worked for about 18 months and am trying to
figure if it is worth fixing. I suspect if I throw it out, my uncle will pull
out of the trash and put it in his shop but never quite fix it anyway.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm