Posted to uk.d-i-y
Luke Luke is offline

Default WIRING: Is this inherently correct?

On Mar 24, 7:16*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Mar 24, 2:10 pm, Luke wrote:
Hi,
I'm rewiring at the moment and have come across this system of wiring
up two lights, the first with one-way switching and the second with
two-way switching:

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...es/circuit.jpg

Hopefully you can make out how it works from the circuit diagram!

SNIP LIGHT EXPLANATION
Luke

What you have here is the standard method of converting a one way
switched light into a two way.

Standard in what way?

1. The lights would not be switched correctly if the lights were wired up
like that.

or

2. The OPs main concern is the use of a 3 core and earth cable used as the
supply and two switched feeds

Well that is not what the OP asked is it?

--
Adam- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your input everyone, and thanks for Adam for pointing out
the error in my diagram and yes, it is wired up as you depicted - I
just didn't quite get the picture right.

I see that Harry's system would work but does not, I think, quite
grasp the situation I have as it still would need a total of 3 lengths
of wire down to the twin switch shown in the picture, and this is the
situation which had been explicitly avoided.

It is all wired up in old colours as the house was rewired in 1997 so
predates the new cable. I have the floor up in the room above as I'm
adding new sockets and thought I might as well ask about the lighting
wiring from the floor below in case it would be a good idea to renew
it whilst I had the boards up and prior to laying a new carpet.

As it stands, bearing in mind the advice, I will leave it as it is. I
did try the wiring puzzler involving the lights up a pole but drew a
blank.

Thanks

Luke