Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Followup on PC built outside the case

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:50:06 +0000 (UTC) Meat Plow
wrote in Message id: :

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:17:34 -0500, chuck wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 02:17:51 -0700, D wrote:

I've put the computer together which I mentioned in my previous "outside
the case" post, and I'm am having a bit of difficulty, though I doubt
it's related to the no-case part. I know this isn't really a computer
forum, but if any of the very knowledgeable people here have any
insights into the following, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

The components of the new build are as follows:

-GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
Motherboard

-Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
BX80601950

-HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9

-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders -
OEM

-Thermaltake Black Widow PSU W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91
CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE

-Older Powercolor X800 GTO vid card

I have initially set up the bits on a table, outside of the case (so I
can still use the PC which is now occupying the case until all is well
with the new bits). Loading went fine, got online & began loading
software, when the PC locked up. In the ~6 hours I've been playing with
this, it has not run longer than about 20 minutes without locking up,
sometimes only 5 or 10 minutes. It seems fine, then just locks. No
mouse, no keyboard, no ctrl/alt/del function, I have to do a reset to
get it going again. I've pulled the HDD & re-installed the OS on a spare
160 gig IDE drive I have, same behavior, so it's not the HDD. What
components are the most likely culprits here? Any suggestions anyone
might have on this situation would be greatly appreciated!

I should add that I installed about 55 updates from MS to the Win 7
installation (all available), after which it still locked.

Haven't had an OS lock up since Windows ME. I'm already missing XP! ;-(

Dan

I have had constant blue screen problems using windows 7 64 and an I7
computer though the windows 7 32 works fine. I'm to the point where I'm
about to install 32 bit software and take a performance hit. (This is on
a Dell laptop.) Chuck

There was a 'sort-of' recall on i7 chips a while back. Google i7 SATA
bug.

I think that was the Q57 chipset, not the processor, though.