Posted to alt.home.repair
Willie The Wimp Willie The Wimp is offline

Default Trim 15 year-old shingles

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:54:44 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:

On Mar 23, 10:41*am, Michael Dobony wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:33:43 -0600, Willie The Wimp wrote:

I guess it's the circ. saw. Gonna be a bitch ...

Don't dread things that don't require it. It's really not a big
deal. The main issue is safety, so ladders with ladder jacks and
planks, or something similar, is the way to go.

One old junk ladder is all I got.

The saw blade will
only be exposed for roughly a 3/4" depth of cut, which minimizes a lot
of the more grievous danger. Just go at a comfortable rate and let
the saw do the work. Don't try to push it to make it go faster.
That's how injuries and damage occur.

I'll keep it in mind.

I drug a circ. saw up there today just to size it up. If I can
fashion a guide to keep the blade a uniform distance from the
edge of the gutter, it might work.

There's maybe 8 gutter mount struts holding the gutter up.
Have to remove or stop, lift saw, restart 8 times.

Try a composite blade for steel. The lack of teeth should help avoid
ripping the shingles to shreads.

Have you ever used one of those blades to cut roof shingles with a
circular saw? I'm guessing you haven't. Without teeth, same as with
too many teeth, the shingles melt and bind the blade. The teeth don't
rip shingles - moving the saw too quickly rips shingles. The OP will
be trying to follow a chalk line from an awkward position - he
certainly won't be moving the saw quickly.

I popped a fine-tooth 'cip saw blade in and tested. Jammed the teeth
with asphalt muy pronto.

Would you attempt to do the deed on a hot, sunny day with shingles
softened, or on a normal/chilly day?

Thanks,
Willie