Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default 115 pc drill sets a waste?

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 23:55:29 -0700, Rich Grise
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Not that I've noticed in the set I have unless it is by a couple
tenths. (HSS, bright, Made in USA.)

You didn't say what you paid for the set, but if you do any (read that
as _ANY_) press fits or shrink fits, you'd notice in a big hurry.

But don't reamers cost a fortune?

Much depends on the type of work you are doing.

"Complete" sets are indeed expensive, but normally you only
need a few sizes. It can be useful to get three reamers,
one undersize, one on size and one over size in your common
sizes. Most any good mill supply should have in stock, but
for illustration see

http://tool.wttool.com/search?p=KK&s...0 Reamer&rk=2

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...r+Set+%28WT%29

Thanks for this. Like I've said, I'm just the draftsman, but I was asking
how I should dimension a slip-fit, and a couple of real machinists told
me, "Oh, just say "slip-fit to so-and-so," and we'll figure it out." That
took off a lot of pressure. :-)

Thanks again,
Rich