Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default What would cause light bulbs to blow out (like a flame) and to be dim for a few minutes on certain circuits?

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:10:41 -0700 (PDT), Tom Horne
wrote:

On Mar 22, 9:37*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 22, 8:38*am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Must be a pretty small panel, to have slotted screws
for the main power feed. Most of the main power
feeds I've seen, you needed a big allen wrench to
tighten them. There may be some way to do the
tightening "hot". Electricians gloves, or something
like that. But, I don't want to be the one to find
out. I was talking to an electrical department guy
at Home Depot last night. He says the mains have
to be cranked down extremely tight, aluminum
tends to expand and contract a lot.

Might even be a problem in the power company's
wiring.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jamesgangnc"
wrote in ...

Concur. *Loose neutral. *If you are comfortable working with
high
power pull the breaker panel cover and check the tightness
of the set
screws for the mains coming into the panel from the meter.
In
particular the bare wire. *Use a plastic handled
screwdriver.
Otherwise call an electrician asap.

Yes, sometimes they are allen. *You can use a platsic handled tool.
That's easy to find for slotted set screws. *Harder for allen. *You
can get T allens that have plastic on the grip end.

Please see my other reply on this topic of tightening the main lugs
hot. It is an extremely dangerous task that ought only be done by a
properly trained and equipped electrician. Plastic coated tools are
no substitute for insulated tools that are wielded by a trained
electrician wearing arc flash protective clothing. Attempting to
tighten the main lugs of an electric panel while energized can lead to
serious injury or death!

The power company will come out for free, and turn the power off long
enough for you to tighten and inspect the connections.

The problem may be on the power company's connections. They will
check their's at the same time.

Our electrical co-op service guy loaned me his 1/2 Allen wrench and
propped up on the wall and watched me tighten my side.