Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Braun 4737 shaver.

That must be a sophisticated charger if it can spot the slight differences
between nicad and NiMH, and reject the latter. I wonder if that's really the
problem.

Although some shavers have a "quick charge" mechanism to handle
"emergencies", I suspect most are little more than trickle chargers.

Suggestion... Try running down the NiMH cells (to 1.1V or so) before putting
them in the shaver. NiMHs generally have a higher full-charge voltage, and
the charger might be "objecting" to that.

The battery failure might also be Nature's way of reminding you that shaving
is unnatural, an affront to one's manhood that should be abandoned
post-haste.

"The 2 AA NiCd cells died, I've hot bags of AA NiMh cells..."

That's probably because the cells are making contact when they shouldn't...