Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default No new nukes for UK???

You're just making this up as you go along, with no idea whether it
actually means anything. I find this kind of doomsaying absurd.

I think that you are just being narrow-minded, assuming that because
nothing bad did happen that it could not have done. Are you sure that
all of the people working on GM knew exactly where their researches
would lead? It wouldn't have been much use if they did. We have never in
the past deliberately combined genetic material from different
organisms. You must know that it is a definition of a species that it
can reproduce. Yes, there has been genetic mixing over time but most of
these mixes died out because they were non-viable or for reasons we can
know nothing about. Yes, a complex organism is the result of
combinations of many smaller organisms over aeons of time, but many many
will have died out as a result of natural selection. I am not
doom-saying at all. Simply pointing out that science has been conducting
an experiment with no real idea if it might go badly wrong. We have to
go on doing it for the sake of feeding the world but should not ignore
the possible consequences.