Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default No new nukes for UK???

I've never been against GM per se, but it needs careful watching. It
could lead to unforeseen results.

GM makes profound changes to the very fundamentals of life, the DNA. It
is a technology that has the potential for very dire consequences, as
well as great benefits. The widespread introduction of said GM crops,
before extensive testing as food on living beings, was a very dangerous
experiment. Luckily we seem to have got away with it. Like Mengele's
data, I don't approve of how it was done, but the data is priceless.

But what doesn't? Rabbits in Australia, then myxmatosis..

The whole use of pesticides n the 60's. leading to dead raptors..the
probable link between pesticides and falling bee populations.

Rachel Carson's book, Silent Spring, was an eye-opener in the 60s or was
it 50s? People were more trusting and ignorant then. We still make
mistakes of course, but I think we're more open and informed now.
Television has helped in bringing people's attention to these things,
for example the destruction of coral reefs.

Science is amoral. It needs to be *applied* morally if you want a moral
result.

The gathering and analysis of scientific knowledge is amoral I agree.
Scientists are not though. Most think about the consequences of what
they do. Many would like more say in decision-making and are disgusted
when irrational decisions are made against the evidence, for example
over recreational drugs.