Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Need more pressure.

On Mar 22, 7:04*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/03/2011 13:22, Triffid wrote:

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:39 am, "Triffid" wrote:
harry wrote:
On Mar 21, 9:13 pm, "Triffid" wrote:
harry wrote:
On Mar 21, 8:10 pm, "Triffid" wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:
On 21/03/2011 19:52, zaax wrote:
Count de Monet wrote:

Just moved home.

Even though

the upstairs hot water feed is plumbed in 22mm the hot supply
to the bath and sink is woefully slow flowing, this is not
helped by the use of modern (no washer) taps which seem to
slow the flow even more.

This is an increasing problem, bearing in mind that the majority
of the taps now for sale in the UK are made in countries that do
not have antiquated gravity-fed water systems and hence are
designed to operate with a minumum mains pressure.

The hot water flow from our modern kitchen tap was pitiful (even
though the header tank was two floors up in the loft). When we
switched to a combi system the flow improved dramatically and is
now fine.

--
Triff

Combi boilers are just for cheapness. They have no other
advantage.

I don't accept that at all. First of all, when you are not using
hot water, the boiler is concentrating entirely on heating the
radiators. The boiler only heats water that you actually need - so
if you don't need much hot water on a particular day, you aren't
wasting money heating up gallons of water that you will never use.

Our traditional system if properly designed is far superior.

IYO! I have absolutely no regrets about switching to a combi
system.

--
Triff- Hide quoted text -

You will when the repair bills start to come in.

Only time will tell - but I'm fairly confident that current combis
are dramatically more reliable and efficient than the early examples.

I had my WB combi serviced last week. I asked the engineer about
reliability. He claimed that the current crop are no more unreliable
than modern conventional boilers.

Of course, if a pump fails on a conventional system - then that is a
pump failure. If a pump fails in a combi - then that is a combi
failure...

--
Triff

It's not reliability that is the probelem, but performance. An average
pumped gravity system will easily outperform an average combi.

In what respects? Certainly not in economy. Certainly not in efficiency..
ISTM that the only way in which a conventional gravity system will
outperform a combi is in speed of filling a bath - and a decently
powered modern combi is nowhere near as slow in that regard as the early
combis.

I'm sorry, but heating and storing gallons of hot water just 'in case'
they may be needed is not a sensible way of running a domestic system
(IMHO!).

The bleeding obvious point (to all except harry and dribble it seems),
is that you need to match the technology to the requirements and the
circumstances. All types of system can be excellent or crap depending on
those factors. There are times when a conventional storage system will
work really well and times it won't work at all, or very poorly. There
are times when combis are excellent, and times they are woeful. Plenty
of other technologies fit in there as well (heatbank, unvented etc) -
each has a place.

If you are going to claim that one technology is superior in every case
and every respect regardless, then you are just going to look like a
flat earth loon.

That's why I was careful to compare average examples. There will
always be outliers.

MBQ