Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2004 Maytag Furnance runs then stops

On Mar 23, 8:45*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 23, 12:16*am, kansascats wrote:

This AM went well -- heated up to 68, then held it there all day. * It
was a warmer evening, so it did not have to run more than about 40m to
reach desired. *I noticed the flame sensor is now solid yellow (on) vs
flashing. *This eve I bumped it up to 69. *It went there, and then
fired on/off a few more times to keep it there.

Sounds like you found the problem.

The timer has a setting for 1 min to 8. * I set it to 5 now. *It was 1
or 2.

The wiring diags show with a 2 stage thermostat, timer, low only, high
only, and some other option I believe.

One would think that other option would be true two stage operation.
In which case you need an additional wire from the W2 terminal on
the furnace to the W2 terminal on the themostat.

The way it was settup, with the timed 1 min option, it was essentially
a single stage at high output, starting on low for 1 min, then running
*on high the rest of the time.

I was not impressed with my installer. * The first time around the
installed AC. *A hack job. *When I went to install the furnace, they
tossed in an extra day labor to better my supply and return lines.
Even then, I have my doubts they did anything but just plug it in.
The install guide talks about taking measurments and making settings.
I'm certain that was not done. * They even mentioned it was a 2 stage
-- but failed to discuss the need for a 2 -state thermostat.

The most important measurement is the temp rise, where you
measure the incoming return air at the furnace and the hot air
leaving. *It has to be within a certain range which should be
specified on a sticker inside the furnace and/or in the install
manual. *Depending on the type of blower, you may be able
to speed up or slow down the blower slightly to get it into the
range, or center it in the range, etc.

I agree about the thermostat, waste to not have a 2 stage one.