Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Trim 15 year-old shingles

On 3/22/2011 10:05 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/22/2011 5:01 PM Jeff Thies spake thus:

On 3/22/2011 7:06 PM, Willie The Wimp wrote:

How might I trim the shingles? I tried tin-snips and a
reciprocating saw, neither were practical. The shingles look solid
but are somewhat stiff. I doubt a hawk-bill knife would work.

They use a roofing blade for a utility knife. It has a hook on it and
you pull, not press. Widely available. For us, the circular saw sounds
like a better idea.

I thought that's what he meant by "hawk-bill knife". Not familiar with
that term, though.

I'm not either. What I meant was these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Which fit any utility knife. That is what the roofers I know use.

Jeff

Izzat what roofers call that little blade on the back
of their roofing hatchets?

By the way, I've got one of those, and used it the last time I did a
roofing job (very small one). Love those pull-cut blades.