Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EMT conduit bending

Tom Gardner wrote:
I've been researching all night and have had a series of epiphanies.
I figure about 4k pieces/mo and with a bit of futzing in the shop I
think I can do the whole thing in-house...cheap! ...

Attaboy! I knew you couldn't resist the chance to build a machine to do
it. I know I couldn't.

Lessee ... the cut-to-length piece is placed/dropped* on the bender. A
hydraulic clamp grabs it between the 2 bend points. Hydraulic cylinders
push rollers or shoes to bend the pipe against dies. The piece is
unclamped and lifted/popped* out. Maybe 5 second cycle.

The rollers/shoes are on arms the same radii as the bends/dies so the
hydraulic pusher doesn't have to worry about the motion path.

'Course there's a gazillion details to work out, but that's the fun of
it. Hey, can I come work for you building this?

Bob

* - it seems like straight, 30" pieces of 1/2" conduit could be
automatically fed from a hopper. And the bent piece popped out into a
basket. Totally automated.