Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2004 Maytag Furnance runs then stops

On Mar 22, 5:29*am, "The Henchman" wrote:
"kansascats" *wrote in message

I used a scotch bright pad -- polished 'er up and put it back in -- 5
min job.

It fired right up and seems good -- tomorrow AM will be the pudding...

-----------------

Told ya. * *Finally for once I'm able to help somebody instead of them
helping me.

The one reason I don't clean my own is they are fragile on mine and a
replacement one is about $110 CDN. *I should just suck it up and clean it
anyways.

If he gets it straightened out, I'd also suggest considering wiring it
up as
a true two stage furnace. That requires a two stage thermostat and
one
additional wire. Then the thermostat, which has the necessary info,
can decide whether to fire it at first stage or 2nd.

The way it was set, ie to fire at 1st stage for 2 mins, then go to 2nd
is just
dumb. But it shows how dumb some furnace manufacturers are. Do
they really think that furnace could raise the temp enough in 2 mins
so
that the thermostat would shut off? All they are doing is denying
you
2 mins of full heat every time the furnace starts. I've seen other
furnaces
that offers settings of 7 or 10 mins, which at least is reasonable.

But to get the best performance, you need it wired to a two stage
thermostat. Then if the thermostat just kicks on by itself, it will
do it in first stage. On the other hand, if it's in recovery mode
after being setback at night, it will immediately go to 2nd stage.
Or, if you move the thermostat up a couple degrees, it will
immediately go to 2nd stage.

The timed option is for either situations where it either the extra
wire is not available, or the installer is lazy/cheap.