Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would cause light bulbs to blow out (like a flame) and to be dim for a few minutes on certain circuits?

Pretty much what I was about to type in. Sounds like a bad
neutral, and should be repaired as soon as possible. Could
be in the panel box, or could be a problem with the
electrical service.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Classic example of a loose neutral connection.
One side of the line is getting low voltage (dim lights)
The other side is getting higher than normal voltage. I bet
the
breakers for those two circuits are either right next ot
each other or
opposite each other in the panel (not always, but often).
The low
voltage wont hurt lights, but it can harm motors and
electronics. The
high voltage is on the opposite breaker and is very
dangerous for
electronics, motors, and can burn out bulbs in seconds.

I highly suggest calling an electrician ASAP and not using
electronics
as much as possible, and especially try to avoid heavy loads
such as
electric heaters, until this is fixed. Losing bulbs is a
minor cost,
but it could destroy computer, tv, microwave, fridge, etc.
At least
shut off the breakers to the rooms affected. If you have
any electric
skills, you might remove the panel on your breaker box and
look for
burnt connections, and tighten all the screws on all white
wires (IF
YOU CAN DO THIS SAFELY). Either way, dont delay getting
this fixed
ASAP. It's dangerous. Some circuits may get 220volts and
do serious
damage and even possibly start a fire.

I've seen this several times. I know someone who lost
almost all
appliances, christmas tree lights fried, and over half the
bulbs in
the house burned out.

I had it happen in my own garage when the neutral wire came
loose on
the service entrance to the garage due to high winds. I
lost 6 CFL
bulbs (one started burning but went out quickly on it's
own), some
outdoor flood lights and the sensors, several power tools
that were I
turned on before I know of this problem (and what alerted me
of the
problem), a battery charger that was plugged in, the garage
heater
blower motor and the garage clock radio that was plugged in.
All
because of one corroded loose neutral at the entrance head.
(The
garage is on a separate pole since it's far from the house)

One last comment, youy could measure the voltage on both the
too
bright and the dim bulbs with a multimeter. If it's only
lights,
screw in one of those old adaptors that turn a light
fixtuure into an
outlet. I always keep one of those in my electrical tools
for that
purpose.