Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Fake Audio Amp IC?

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Gareth the Menace "
"Phil Allison" "Gareth the Menace "

Is anyone able to tell whether this might or might not be fake?

** It is rare for anyone to set out to manufacture a "fake" electronic
device for sale - so the terms "fake" and "counterfeit" are
misleading.

What IS done is to remove the labelling from a cheap device and
re-label it as another, more expensive and far more sellable type.

In the case of the STK422 series of modules, the game would be to
re-label a lower spec part as a higher spec one.

FFS - buy from a trusted local supplier.

Is 10 UK pounds plus VAT too much for a 65 watt per channel stereo power
amp ??

I did buy this at Littlediode, (First time I've used them).

** Are they " the new kids on the block " ??

Avoid them like the plague if they are.

I am now wondering if they are indeed a trusted supplier. It was shipped
(according to them) from the far east, taking a week or so to arrive.

** Verrrry suspicious.

Straight from eBay - to you.

I woudln't normally do this, as if it is too good to be true then usually
it is.
Hence me buying another one from HHB who I trust implicitly and will have
sourced the part from Genelec.

Unfortunately I paid more for postage from HHB than the entire
Littlediode transaction cost!

Ho hum, and there's me trying to do the customer a favour.

Thanks for the info, when I get the other one back from the customer I
shall break it open for comparison.

** If it is an old example - it will look very different inside.

Probably be no SMD parts used at all.

... Phil

Funny how not even the OEM or replacement Genelec devices have any
manufacturers ID. Doesn't fill me with great confidence, and the Genelecs
are not cheap speakers.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00058481.html

Gareth.