Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fake Audio Amp IC?

"Gareth the Menace "
"Phil Allison" "Gareth the Menace "

Is anyone able to tell whether this might or might not be fake?

** It is rare for anyone to set out to manufacture a "fake" electronic
device for sale - so the terms "fake" and "counterfeit" are
misleading.

What IS done is to remove the labelling from a cheap device and
re-label it as another, more expensive and far more sellable type.

In the case of the STK422 series of modules, the game would be to
re-label a lower spec part as a higher spec one.

FFS - buy from a trusted local supplier.

Is 10 UK pounds plus VAT too much for a 65 watt per channel stereo power
amp ??

I did buy this at Littlediode, (First time I've used them).

** Are they " the new kids on the block " ??

Avoid them like the plague if they are.

I am now wondering if they are indeed a trusted supplier. It was shipped
(according to them) from the far east, taking a week or so to arrive.

** Verrrry suspicious.

Straight from eBay - to you.

I woudln't normally do this, as if it is too good to be true then usually
it is.
Hence me buying another one from HHB who I trust implicitly and will have
sourced the part from Genelec.

Unfortunately I paid more for postage from HHB than the entire Littlediode
transaction cost!

Ho hum, and there's me trying to do the customer a favour.

Thanks for the info, when I get the other one back from the customer I
shall break it open for comparison.

** If it is an old example - it will look very different inside.

Probably be no SMD parts used at all.

.... Phil