Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Hot Water Heater And Temp. Setting ?

On 3/21/2011 6:22 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical vertical cylinder gas fired house hot water heater.

The thermostat on the gas control has a little raised bar on the dial
half-way between the HOT and WARM marks.

This is where it is set presently.

I am assuming that this is the typical or avg. temp. setting.

Is it safe to go, e.g., half way between this mark and
the HOT (max.) Mark ?

Half way would be approx what temp., do you think ?

Would like to try raising the temp. as the wife is always complaining
about not enough hot water.

Not sure how much to raise it to be safe; both from a scalding
viewpoint, but also for the safety of the tank.

Thanks,
B.

the tank has a safety built in. I doubt you could turn it high enough
to pop the T&P valve. You might want to invest in a thermometer. And
set it where you want. 140 is a good place to start. If you have heavy
shower traffic, you might want to press it to 150.

--
Steve Barker