Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Need more pressure.

On Mar 21, 9:12*pm, Old Codger wrote:
On 21/03/2011 19:41, Count de Monet wrote:

Just moved home.

The central heating and hot water systems are gravity fed. The HW
cylinder is in an upstairs airing cupboard above the stairs.The top of
the cylinder is only 6-8" below the ceiling with the cold water header
tank on a low platform in the roof space above. Even though the upstairs
hot water feed is plumbed in 22mm the hot supply to the bath and sink is
woefully slow flowing, this is not helped by the use of modern (no
washer) taps which seem to slow the flow even more.

Can I install a pump in the airing cupboard in the 22mm coming from the
top (output) of the HW cylinder? I only need to boost pressure for the
hot water supply as the cold is at mains pressure and flows fine.

If so can anyone recommend a suitable pump? all I want to do is cut a
length of pipe long enough for the pump to be fitted. I do have an
electrical supply in the airing cupboard already.

Is this the correct way to boost hot water pressure rather than having
to raise the cold water header tank in a gravity fed system?

If there is enough height I would always raise the header/feed tank.
Although more work there is nothing to go wrong once the installation is
completed.

I live in a bungalow and have installed a shower which has pressure
which is arguably better than that of a pumped shower in a nearby house.
* I built a tower for the header/feed tank in the loft. *When full the
surface of the cold water is about 6ft above the ceiling joists. *The
shower is fed from the hot tank with the cold feed coming from this
header/feed tank, thus equalling the pressures.

Incidentally, I have modern (ceramic disk) mixer taps in the kitchen.
The hot water flows through that tap just a well as it flows through any
of the other traditional taps in the property.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

people believe has happened. [Janet Daley 27/8/2003]- Hide quoted text -

Way to go. Far more sensible.