Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Fake Audio Amp IC?

Hi,

I recently replaced the STK amplifier module in a Genelec speaker. These
STK modules are not easy to find, but I did find one on the net, delivered
from the far east, which was a quarter of the price of the official spares
supplier here in the UK (HHB). I informed the customer prior to order, and
he was happy to take the much cheaper part.

Anyway it lasted 1 day before failing short circuit. Fortunately the
drivers are not damaged.

There are photos he
http://postimage.org/image/1gb2ui0lg/
http://postimage.org/image/2p2rdrs9w/

The new looking part is a new part subsequently ordered from HHB. The old
one with the mangled legs is the cheap failed device.

Is anyone able to tell whether this might or might not be fake?

Cheers,

Gareth.