Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
justme[_2_] justme[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone know anything about power steering on a backhoe?

Okay, Pete.

I will take some pictures of it and post on here where they are.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Joe

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 07:06:40 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

justme wrote:

Thanks allot, Pete.

No leaks or crushed cylinder. I will give it a better inspection.

Pretty sure that it is a dual-action cylinder.

Sometimes they use a double action, double rod (for equal displacement
push/pull) cylinder, sometimes just two normal cylinders (the Deere 500C
I used to have used two). It doesn't really matter since the end result
is the same, and in either case there is almost no chance of the problem
being there.

The problem is almost certainly in the steering valve, could be a bit of
crud that got to it and is sticking a valve, could be a torn / worn
seal, whatever.

I overhauled the steering valve on my old 500C with an inexpensive
rebuild kit. That was an older style steering valve and while a bit of a
pain it wasn't that bad. Your valve may be newer which may make it
easier to deal with, or a new valve may be cheap enough to just replace
it.

If you can replace the valve at a reasonable cost that will get you
running fastest. Also get a rebuild kit and rebuild the old valve at
your leisure so you have it as a backup.

Joe

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 21:09:38 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

justme wrote:

I have a IH-3400A backhoe in decent condition but the power steering
has gone out. It started failing by working intermittently and now,
it is completely gone. Yes, it has fluid. Sometimes the steering
wheel will turn if you put a great about of force on it and the front
tires will turn. At other times, the steering wheel will easily turn
but not front wheel action.

I do have a limited service manual for the machine showing the flow
for the steering. I was thinking of getting a 0 to 4500 p.s.i. gauge
and working down the line to see where I am not getting pressure but I
don't know what I am doing.

Any ideas that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks

Joe

I presume this is full hydraulic steering i.e. no mechanical linkage,
just a pair of hydraulic cylinders or a double ended cylinder operating
the wheel linkage? There is essentially nothing that can go wrong on
that end beyond a leaking or crushed cylinder.

Attached to the steering wheel will be a hydraulic steering valve unit
with four hydraulic connections, two to the steering cylinder(s), a
hydraulic pressure supply and a return to the hydraulic tank. You can
check for hydraulic pressure at the input, but 95% chance it's fine if
the rest of the hydraulics on the machine are fine since they are
normally all fed from the same pump.

These steering valves are rather complex, but they aren't all that
expensive, especially if they are newer. You may be able to buy a
rebuild kit for the steering valve for $30-$50. Northern Tool and
Surplus Center both list some hydraulic steering valves for around
$450-$500.